Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Super-Efficient Home Talk

"Design and Build Your Own Super-Efficient Home", Mar 13
Join us at the store on Thursday, March 13th, at 7:00 pm for our next Sustainable Living Talk, "Design and Build Your Own Super-Efficient Home."

We are delighted to have Al Heath back to talk on the topic of super-efficient building. He writes,

"I was a carpenter, designer, and contractor for 12 years before changing careers in 1990. Four years ago when I wanted to build my family a new and much more energy efficient house, I found that not only was it prohibitively expensive, but most of the builders I spoke with didn't really know what "super-insulated, passive solar" meant. I decided to re-educate myself to the new reality and techniques of energy efficiency and build it myself.

My wife and I researched, designed, and built 80% of our new home while sub-contracting the rest. We now easily heat our beautiful 2,000 square foot home on one cord of wood, 75 gallons of kerosene, and all the free/clean sunshine we can get. I have recently installed a solar hot water system that provides a majority of our domestic hot water needs and next, we hope to increase the size of this system for space heating and further reduce our use of firewood and oil.

It is challenging, interesting, and important work but you don't have to be a rocket scientist! I will share everything time allows, including a list of helpful sources and contractors."

Free refreshments and informational handouts will also be available.

Our Sustainable Living Talks are on the second Thursday of each month at 7:00 pm at 56 Maine Street in Brunswick. Space is limited, so we encourage you to call the store at 729-4050 to reserve a seat.

No comments: